Our best defense is to make sure that our homes are secured, Computers and Mobiles are well equipped with anti security software. Our Vehicles (Cars, Bikes & Bicycles) should be well secured too!
Every kind of property is different. It is your responsibility to make it safe.
How does one make property safer?
Simple, you have to think like a burglar.
Stand outside your property and inspect your doors and windows.
See if you find a way to enter your property with ease.
Are there any drain pipes that can be used for climbing? What about lower walls and fences?
Have you got an extension which has flat roof?
Easy Targets are as follows:
1. Access through a window; even a small window is accessible by the bad elements so always keep them shut.
2. Standard Glass doors and windows; these can be broken and easy for the thieves to make an entry.
3. Double Glazed UPVC Doors; Check that the key insertion is not jutting out.
If it is, it can be broken off. Check on the web for more info.
4. Double Glazed UPVC windows; these can be yanked out from the frames and enter property. Put extra Sash Locks on them. See Photo below.
5. Flat roof; very easy to climb up using drain pipes.
6. Rear and Side Fences; how low are they? They should be 2 metres high.
7. Side gates; this is another entry. Lock them from inside.
8. Have you an alley way at the side or rear of the house? This is another way to enter. Put a Gate there and also make your fences higher using trellis.
9. Your keys to the doors and windows; are they still hanging on the doors and windows? Remove them and keep them safe in your bedroom or some other place.
10. Isolate your rooms by putting sliding stoppers outside of the doors and close them before going to sleep or going out. See Photo below.
11. Get an Alarm System Fitted which has:
A. Inertia Detector and Integral Contacts on the Doors and Windows. See Photo below.
B. Passive Infra-Red Movement Detector in every room.
C. Look for Alarm system that can set partitions, meaning that you can set it fully when you go out or Part-set it when you are inside at night (the Passive Infra-Red Movement Detectors are switched off)
12. Put a light outside (At the Back, Side and/or Front) which has a timer that can be set according to changing night times.
13. Check how good and strong are your locks too.
One may argue that the light will increase the electric fuel bills. Look at the bright side, it is a deterrent and also will be for your and property’s safety too.
By Noor Mohamed
TIP: Keeping external lights on, all night on timer, works as a deterrent. LED lights are bright and cheap to run.
These Leaflets are a warning for all of us. Remember the 5 commandments.
The attacks come from both internet browsing and emails.
All computers should have an anti virus and security software (application) to stop malicious sites masquerading as originals.
Computer professionals in cyber security advise more than one application to stop your Digital hardware being comprmised. There are many anti security applications around. You should look for ones which block malware, pop ups and advertising. One of them is Malawarebytes. This will block bad sites and also stop pop ups, advertising pops etc. There are others i.e. Norton Security, McCafee etc. It is better to purchase these applications. These should be installed on both Computers and Smart Mobiles. These companies sell software which can be used for 3, 5, 10 or 20 devices. Think of it as extra locks you are purchasing to keep your hardware safe.
Below are links to download various documents which will help you in keeping your digital hardware safe.
Prevention is better than Cure!!
The hackers prey on your vulnerabilities!
Fear - They will send you notices of being charged, tax dues, tv licence overdue or unpaid invoices etc.
Greed - You have won a prize, refund of Tax or TV licence etc.
Your account frozen in a bank.
Password or Login details compromised.
Covid-19 vaccine for sale.
Put this emails into spam folder and then delete and empty them!
DO NOT Click on to to the link.
DO NOT reply to tell them to not to sent the emails. This way, once you reply, they know that your email address is active. You will then start receiving many spam emails.
Steps to take:
1. Change your passwords frequently.
2. Make them difficult so no one can guess.
Bicyles and Bikes
Use a chain and Lock. Connect the chainn to a wall as well.
Nowadays vehicles and Catalyct Convertors are stolen regularly.
For Catalyct Convertor get a steel mesh installed to cover it. Just search for it and you will find someone selling it. Ask your Car dealer, they may know some people.
For Vehicles, best is to put a steering lock. Also for Keyless vehicles, use a Faraday Pouch plus a Faraday Box. Put your key in the Pouch and the pouch in the Box. Double safety. Do not forget your spare key. Cover it with Kitchen Foil, put it in the Faraday Pouch and Cover the Faraday pouch with Foil. Put it in an envelope and mark it as Spare key. Keep it in a Safe place.